If you do enjoy jack Daniels, you will be familiar with the sensory contribution of American oak to distilled spirits. Aromas such as vanilla, dill and various baking spices is associated with America oak.
These chips has not undergone any form of toasting and or charring and therefore it only represents flavours and aromas contributed by the raw oak.
These chips can be used in one of two ways:
- Add a desirable amount of oak chips to a sealable glass jar.
- Add sherry of you choosing to the jar until all of the chips are covered.
- Allow to soak for one month.
- Stain the sherry from the chips, the chips should now have absorbed the flavour of the sherry.
- Add the sherry-soaked chips to a new container and add your distilled spirits.
- Allow to soak for a couple of days or until you are happy with the flavour.
- Pre-heat oven to 160°C.
- Add a desirable amount of oak chips onto a clean baking tray.
- Place in the oven and allow to brown.
- Check the process every 5 minutes as the oak chips can burn very quickly.
- Once you are happy with the colour and the amount of toasting, remove from the oven and allow to cool down.
- Add the oak chips to your spirits and allow to soak for couple of days or until you are happy with the flavour.