This online Practical Workshop will enable you to utilise any Grain as a Raw Material for either your final Product (in the case of a Whisk(e)y, Moonshine or even Vodka Style Product) or for your base spirit (in the case of a classic or contemporary Gin).
PLEASE NOTE: The C1 - Introduction to Distilling Course, or any other Distillation Course done in the past, is a prerequisite for attendance to this course.
Learners from outside South Africa:
To ship your printed course manual to your physical address, it costs us quite a bit more.
Please use this link for ordering the course on the international platform and to pay through PayPal.
Learners inside South Africa and Namibia:
During the Course you will cover in-depth the following Master Principles, both in theory and practice:
- Starch Conversion - Conversion of Unfermentable Carbohydrates into Fermentable Sugars
- Sensory Analysis - Training and Using your sense of Taste and Smell
- Spirit Blending - Mixing Spirits in a Scientific and Controlled fashion in order to create repeatable Recipes and Processes
- Dilution - Dilution of Spirits down to Legal Minimum Strength, as well as working with Starch Based Raw Materials (Grain and Potatoes)
Whisk(e)y, Moonshine and Vodka Overview
- Difference between Whisk(e)y, Moonshine and Vodka
- A History of Whisk(e)y, Moonshine and Vodka
- Regional Differences in Whisk(e)y - Scotland, Ireland, USA and South Africa
- Whisk(e)y and Moonshine Methodology
- Innovating with Whisk(e)y in South Africa
Unique Aspects of Starch Fermentations
- Grain Bill and Milling
- Starch Extraction, Conversion and Steeping
- Malting and Enzyme Sources
- Still Types Used for Whisky Production
- Different Still Configurations in Commercial Distilleries
- Using Multiple Stills in a Commercial Distillery
- Stripping Runs vs Spirit Runs vs Rectifying Runs
- Reflux Modes in Fractional Distillation
Spirit Enhancement in Whisk(e)y, Moonshine and Vodka
- Techniques Relevant to Whisk(e)y, Moonshine and Vodka
Course Fees include:
- Course Material in printed format couriered to you (in South Africa).
- Access to our video-based online training platform for 90 days
- Access to the discussion forums (with each lesson where applicable) to share information with other course attendees
- Access to download the presentation slides for each lesson (where applicable)
Once we received your payment, you will receive an email with an online training link to start your course.
You would require:
- Good Internet connection
- Preferably a laptop or desktop PC with sound to view the videos (Smartphone screen just too small)
- Pen and paper to take your own notes
- You can pause, rewind and replay a video to make sure you do not miss an important part.
Unfortunately, none of the online courses can be canceled after a voucher number or link has been emailed to you.