This online course will enable you to utilise and Fruit as a Raw Material for either your final Product (in the case of a Brandy or Eau de Vie Style Product) or for your base spirit (in the case of a contemporary Gin).
PLEASE NOTE: The C1 - Introduction to Distilling Course, or any other Distillation Course done in the past, is a prerequisite for attendance to this course.
Learners from outside South Africa:
To ship your printed course manual (i.e. more than 700 pages on C10) to your physical address, it costs us quite a bit more.
Please use this link for ordering the course on the international platform and to pay through PayPal.
Learners inside South Africa and Namibia:
During the Course you will cover in-depth the following Master Principles, both in theory and practice:
- Fractional Distillation - Selecting Desired and Undesired Aroma's and Tastes during Distillation
- Sensory Analysis - Training and Using your sense of Taste and Smell
- Spirit Blending - Mixing Spirits in a Scientific and Controlled fashion in order to create repeatable Recipes and Processes
- Dilution - Dilution of Spirits down to Legal Minimum Strength
Brandy and Mampoer (Eau de Vie) Overview
- Difference between Brandy and Mampoer
- Legislation regarding Brandy and Mampoer
- Discussion on the future of Brandy and Mampoer in South Africa
- History of Brandy and Mampoer
- Regional Differences of Fruit Based Spirits
- The Cultural Distillers Guild
- Brandy and Mampoer Methodology
Unique Aspects of Fruit Based Fermentations
- Fruit Selection and Preparation
- Open vs Closed Fermentations
- Fermentation Management
- Clarification Techniques
PRACTICAL - Making a Fruit Based Fermentation
Fractional Distillation Overview
- Fractional or Precision Distillation
PRACTICAL - Distilling a Fruit Based Fermentation
PRACTICAL - Sensory Analysis of Heads and Tails
Spirit Enhancement in Brandy and Mampoer
- Techniques Relevant to Brandy and Mampoer
PRACTICAL - Blending of Selected Fractions and Dilution
PRACTICAL - Obscuration and Wooding of Spirits with Sensory Analysis
Course Fees include:
- Course Material in printed format couriered to you.
- Access to our video-based online training platform for 90 days
- Access to the discussion forums (with each lesson where applicable) to share information with other course attendees
- Access to download the presentation slides for each lesson (where applicable)
Once we received your payment, you will receive an email with an online training link to start your course.
You would require:
- Good Internet connection
- Preferably a laptop or desktop PC with sound to view the videos (Smartphone screen just too small)
- Pen and paper to take your own notes
- You can pause, rewind and replay a video to make sure you do not miss an important part.
Unfortunately, none of the online courses can be canceled after a voucher number or link has been emailed to you.