CUSTOMER PRIVACY NOTICE
This Notice explains how Distillique obtain, use disclose and delete your personal information, in accordance with the requirements of the Protection of Personal Information Act (“POPIA”).
The Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA) is South Africa’s data protection law. The purpose of the Act is to protect people from harm by protecting their personal information.
At Distillique we are committed to protect your privacy and to ensure that your personal information is collected and used properly, lawfully, and transparently.
Definition of personal information
According to the Act ‘‘personal information’’ means information relating to an identifiable, living, natural person, and where it is applicable, an identifiable, existing juristic person. Further to the POPI Act, Distillique includes the following items as personal information:
- Your name and contact details
- All addresses including residential, postal and email addresses.
- Change of name – for which we require copies of the marriage certificate or official change of name document issued by the state department.
- CCTV images/video recordings (where you can be identified)
- Payment details
The information we collect:
Website sourced information:
We collect and process your personal information mainly to contact you for the purposes of understanding your requirements and delivering services and or products accordingly. For this purpose, we will collect your contact details, address, and related information such as products that you purchase or would like to purchase from us.
We collect information directly from you where you provide us with your personal details. Where possible, we will inform you what information you are required to provide to us and what information is optional.
Website usage information may be collected using “cookies” which allows us to collect standard internet visitor usage information.
When doing an EFT or Credit card payment to Distillique, your personal information, as required by your bank/credit card issuer for the recording of the transaction, is provided to Distillique on the credit card slips and bank account statements. We use this information mainly to verify payments against orders.
When entering our shop, you are entering a space where continuous video recordings are made for security and safety purposes. Your name or contact details are not linked to recordings where you appear, and will only be linked as required for criminal or official investigations.
Digital interaction platforms:
You may share certain information with us when using digital platforms such as Whatsapp, Facebook, SMS or any other platform using digital technology to communicate.
The information we collect and process from these platforms, are personal information for the purposes of understanding your requirements and delivering services and or products accordingly.
The Protection of Personal Information Act involves three parties:
- The data subject: the person to whom the information relates - which is you.
- The responsible party: the person who determines why and how to process - which is Distillique
- The operator: a person who processes personal information on behalf of the responsible party - Which is Distillique and selected service providers.
How we use your information
We will use your personal information only for the purposes for which it was collected and agreed with you. In addition, where necessary your information may be retained for legal or research purposes.
- To gather contact information;
- To collect payment verification details.
- To confirm and verify your identity or to verify that you are an authorized user for security purposes;
- For the detection and prevention of fraud, crime, money laundering or other malpractice;
- To conduct market or customer satisfaction research or for statistical analysis;
- For audit and record keeping purposes;
- In connection with legal proceedings.
- As required by SARS when selling stills. (i.e. type of still, your name, address, tel no, date of purchase, still serial number and still capacity)
Disclosure of information
We may disclose your personal information to our service providers who are involved in the delivery of products or services to you (such as "The Courier Guy" for deliveries, MasterCard and VISA for payments by Card, Our website and email hosting provider, etc.). Our service providers have agreements in place to ensure that they comply with the privacy requirements as required by the Protection of Personal Information Act.
We may also disclose your information:
- Where we have a duty or a right to disclose in terms of law or industry codes;
- Where we believe it is necessary to protect our rights.
- To our business associates IF, and only if, you have indicated that you would like to receive offers from our business associates.
We are legally obliged to provide adequate protection for the personal information we hold and to stop unauthorized access and use of personal information. We will, on an on-going basis, continue to review our security controls and related processes to ensure that your personal information remains secure.
Our security policies and procedures cover:
All your information that is collected on our website is stored encrypted (but decryptable) and data access information in encrypted (but non-decryptable) form in a database on a secure server that is hosted physically in a secure data Centre. Encrypted (but decryptable) data can only be accessed by authorized persons with suitable software and security keys to allow decryption. Encrypted (and not decryptable) information cannot be used/accessed by any person (i.e. passwords for account purposes).
Security measures entail:
- Physical security;
- Computer and network security;
- Access to personal information security;
- Secure communications;
- Security in contracting out activities or functions;
- Retention and disposal of information;
- Acceptable usage of personal information;
- Governance and regulatory issues;
- Monitoring access and usage of private information;
- Investigating and reacting to security incidents.
When we contract with third parties, we impose appropriate security, privacy and confidentiality obligations on them to ensure that personal information that we remain responsible for, is kept secure.
We will ensure that anyone to whom we pass your personal information agrees to treat your information with the same level of protection as we are obliged to.
Your Rights: Access to information
You have the right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you. To do this, simply contact us at the numbers/addresses as provided on our website and specify what information you require. We will need a copy of your ID document and verification documents or information to confirm your identity before providing details of your personal information.
Please note that any such access request is subject to the payment of a legally allowable fee.
Correction of your information
You have the right to ask us to update or correct your personal information. We will require a copy of your ID document and verification information to confirm your identity before making changes to personal information we may hold about you. We would appreciate it if you would keep your personal information accurate yourself.
The right "to forget you"
You have the right to be "forgotten" by Distillique and have all your personal information deleted from on our systems. However, historical financial transactions and communication records against your name will be retained as legally required.
How to contact us
If you have any queries about this notice; you need further information about our privacy practices; wish to withdraw consent; exercise preferences or access or correct your personal information, please contact us at the numbers/addresses listed on our website.