This is a quick test to determine the grade of stainless steel if you're unsure. This kit allows you to test steel in a matter of seconds.
Distinguish between 316, 304 and 202 or lower grades of steel. The test kit will allow you to do more than 200 tests. Easy, quick, convenient!
- Have stainless steel to be tested in a horizontal position
- Clip the brass probe onto the 9V battery (not included)
- Place one drop of electrolyte onto the stainless steel
- Place NEGATIVE probe into into the drop of electrolyte and the POSITIVE probe onto a clean and dry portion of the stainless steel
- At the negative probe, the liquid around the probe will be "boiling" slightly and form a colored spot
- Keep for about 3 seconds
If the spot is black - low grade stainless steel (i.e. Grade SS202)
If the spot is red-brown (and disappears within in second or two) it is SS304
If the spot is red-brown (and stays that way) it is SS314
Instruction leaflet supplied.