A special active dry yeast strain specifically for molasses and other cane based fermentations.
This yeast displays highest alcohol yields between a temperature of 30-35°C.
Please note MTR Yeast needs to work in conjunction with Yeast nutrients as molasses has a very high sugar content. (1g per liter).
Yeast nutrients (100g)
Enough for up to 200l molasses fermentations.
- fermentations less than 100L : 1g yeast per liter mash
- fermentation between 100 and 500 litres: 0.75g yeast per litre mash
- fermentation between 500 and 1000 Litres: 0.5g yeast per litre mash.
- Monitor and record temperature and ph daily.
- Ideally keep temperature between 25 and 35 °C (use 200W aquarium heater with thermostat if temperature drops below 25C)
- PH Range between 3.3 - 5.3
- Do not allow pH to fall below 3.5 (unlikely that it will drop below 4.5 but keep an eye on it)
- Monitor Brix levels daily (preferably with glass hydrometer).
- Allow fermentation (few days – depending on temperature) until Brix values do not drop anymore between two consecutive days. (i.e. at about 7 Brix - Molasses fermentations frequently end with remaining Brix solids). Fermentation can be assumed to be stuck if the sugar levels remain consistent over a few days while still above i.e. 17 Brix.
Pumping to Still:
- Pump from fermentation tank (at draw-off point) to still. Discard or re-use bottom sediment for next fermentation.
- Clean, rinse and sanitise fermentation tank.