Superior medium roasted French Oak Chips for at least 100L of wine or spirits. Infuse Oak chips in wine or distilled spirits for flavour and colour.
Medium toasted French oak chips are by far the most preferred grade of toasting amongst home distillers.
Two ways of getting the most of your wood chips:
- Infuse a few chips (i.e. 1-2g per litre spirits) in your spirits until it develops your preferred level of "woodiness". Then strain the chips and bottle your spirits.
- Fill a bottle about 3/4 full with strong neutral spirits (i.e at 80% abv). Infuse for a few weeks in a warm area (but not direct sunlight). Thereafter use this "wood extract" to "instantly mature" your spirits.
Factors influencing the time of oaking required:
There is no "right or wrong" quantities of chips or specific periods to infuse the wood chips.
- The higher the temperature - the quicker the extraction of the woody aromas.
- The stronger the alcohol - the quicker
- The more chips you use - the quicker
- The smaller the wood chips - the quicker
First use the colour as a guide and then on regular intervals, nose and taste the product until you've reached your preferred level of "woodiness"