W13: Build your own reflux still
Build your own adjustable reflux still column in 1 day with expert guidance during the workshop.
Objective: To build your own adjustable reflux still to take home and distill!
Supplied during course:
- All components and material required to build your own reflux still column
- Use of equipment and consumables
- Health and safety during workshop
- Health, safety and legal considerations when building your own still
- Basic reflux column design parameters
- Spirit Production rate
- Spirit volume to produce
- Distilling boiler run times ("bring to boil" and distilling time)
- Required %abv of end product
- Required %abv from still
- Mash %abv
- Basic calculations
- Boiler size
- Heat input calculation
- Vapour volume calculations
- Vapour speed calculation
- Condenser sizing calculation
- Column diameter sizing
- "Common sense" verification
- Soldering technique and exercises
- Legally allowed leadless solder
- Heat application points
- Heat distribution considerations
- Copper bending techniques
- Issues when bending copper
- Minimum radius copper tube bends
- Copper annealing
- Bending techniques
- Bending the copper tube
- Copper cutting techniques
- Cutting techniques
- Cutting copper pipes and tubes
- Cutting copper sheeting
- Copper polishing
- "shine preservation"
- Bending Cutting Soldering Polishing and Assembling your own adjustable reflux column still.
- Testing components.
- Selecting boiler size
- Serializing and registering your still (to make it a legal still)
Optional during workshop: Buy a 25 or 35 Liter boiler to fit underneath the column.
Receipt of your payment will confirm your seat reservation for the course. Please note our terms and conditions for training when cancelling a course.
Venue: Distillique Offices in Centurion (View Map)
View the training calendar for all training courses.