W22 - Vacuum distilling
Learn how to distil with a vacuum still and disover it's hidden abilities ... in a one day practical workshop.
A learning experience on how to distil with a vacuum fractionating or short path still.
• Preserving delicate temperature sensitive aromatics and perform precision batch distillation.
o Welcoming and Introduction of Participants
o Workshop programme and structure
o Scope of this workshop
o Distilling safety - and especially for vacuum stills
• The anatomy of a vacuum still and the purpose of each component
• Temperature control (only possible in vacuum distillations)
o Bath and boiler temperatures and control of boiling rate
o Vapour temperatures
o Coolant temperatures
o Purpose if using the agitator
• Different ways of specifying vacuum and pressure, absolute and relative vacuums
• Input variables and their impacts
o Coolant water flow - main/reflux condenser (dephlegmator) (on fractionating stills)
o Coolant water flow - spirit condenser
o Cold-trap cooling importance and heat input control
• Practical distillation on a vacuum still (small experimental still and larger vacuum still)
- Filling a still
- Setting up a vacuum still and coolant flows
- Starting heat and vacuum to bring to boil
- Adjustment when boiling starts
- Equalising/stabilizing your column
- The heads and fraction collecting and withdrawing
- Volume calculations for receivers
- Opening vacuum stills and shutting down procedures
• Conclusions, Q&A and discussions
Receipt of your payment will confirm your seat reservation for the course. Please note our terms and conditions for training when cancelling a course.
Pre-requisites: Theoretical distilling and phase diagram knowledge/exposure/appreciation.
Course Fee Includes:
- Slideshow handouts
- Use of vacuum stills during distillation
- Refreshments during course (tea, coffee, cool drink, bottled water)
- Light Lunch (Please inform us of any dietary requirements)
Presented on request only with a minimum of 6 participants (Maximum of 10 participants)
• Starts at 08:00 until approximately 15:00 with lunch at 12h00.
View the training calendar for all training courses.
• Distillique Offices in Centurion (View Map)