This yeast and nutrient mix has been specifically formulated (based on Treacle 3 molasses components) to ferment at relatively high temperatures and produce favorable congeners for rum production.
- Add 100L hot (i.e. between 65 and 80 degree C) water into clean fermenting tank.
- Add 92 L (Huletts Treacle 3) molasses to the hot water
- Pump (circulate) the solution for about 5 minutes in the fermenting tank to allow molasses to dissolve well
- Top up fermenting tank to 200L with cold, aerated water (a sink tap aerator work well)
- Pump (circulate) solution (about 20 minutes) while allowing solution to “splash/aerate/spray” as much as possible in the fermenting tank.
- Measure Brix value of the molasses solution. (°Brix should read about 37, although actual sugar content should be 30 °Brix)
- Ensure that the molasses solution has cooled to between 30 and 35 °C
- Add 200 g MTR01 yeast and nutrient mix to fermenting tank and stir well into solution.
- Record Batch number, date, time, molasses and water usage, yeast usage, nutrient usage, temperature and pH of solution.
- Close off fermenting tank while ensuring airlock is functioning.
- Monitor and record temperature and ph daily.
- Ideally keep temperature between 30 and 35 °C (use 200W aquarium heater with thermostat if temperature drops below 25C)
- Do not allow pH to fall below 3.5 (unlikely that it will drop below 4.5 but keep an eye on it)
- Monitor Brix levels daily (preferably with glass hydrometer).
- Allow fermentation (few days – depending on temperature) until Brix values do not drop anymore between two consecutive days. (i.e. at about 7 Brix - Molasses fermentations frequently end with remaining Brix solids). Fermentation can be assumed to be stuck if the sugar levels remain consistent over a few days while still above i.e. 17 Brix.
Pumping to Still:
- Pump from fermentation tank (at draw-off point) to still. Discard or re-use bottom sediment for next fermentation.
- Clean, rinse and sanitise fermentation tank.
|10||25%||Up to R 750.00|
|50||50%||Up to R 7,500.00|
No customer reviews for the moment.